Dr. Ann M. LUI
Ph.D. & M.Sc. in Brain, Behavior and Cognition (Northwestern); M.Phil. in Psychology (CUHK); B. Soc. Sc. in Psychology (CUHK)
- Associate Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Director of Centre for Child Development (CCD), Hong Kong Baptist University
- Director of the program of Postgraduate Diploma in Education, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Associate Director of Centre for Learning Sciences (CLS), Hong Kong Baptist University
- Honorary Assistant Professor, Faculty of Education, University of Hong Kong
- Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, National Central University, Taiwan
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Centre for Special Educational Needs & Inclusive Education, The Education University of Hong Kong
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Psychology, National University of Singapore
- Special Educational Needs
- Inclusive Education
- Learning Sciences
- Cognitive Psychology
- Social and Affective Neuroscience
(IF refers to impact factor)
Lui, M., Lau, G. K. B., Han, Y. M. Y., Yuen, K. C. P., Sommer, W. (2022). Strong relationship between rapid auditory processing and affective prosody recognition among adults with high autistic traits. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. [SSCI; IF = 5.67; Q1 in Developmental and Educational Psychology] https://rdcu.be/cORS1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-022-05600-4
Bagherzadeh-Azbari, S., Lau, G. K. B., Ouyang, G., Zhou, C., Hildebrandt, A., Sommer, W., & M. Lui (2022). Multimodal evidence of
atypical processing of eye gaze and facial emotion in children with autistic traits. Frontiers Human Neuroscience, 16, 733852. [SCI; IF = 3.17; Q2 in Behavioral Neuroscience] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8886727/pdf/fnhum-16-733852.pdf
- Wong, Y. K., Tong, C. K. Y., Lui, M., & Wong, A. C. N. (2021). Perceptual expertise with Chinese characters predicts Chinese reading performance among Hong Kong Chinese children with developmental dyslexia. PLOS One, 16(1), e0243440. [SCI; IF = 3.57; Q1 in Medicine] https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0243440
- Lui, M.*, Li, X., Sommer, W., Hildebrandt, A., Lau, G. K, & Zhou, C.* (2020). Sex differences in behavioral and brain responses to incongruity in emotional speech controlling for autistic traits. Biological Psychology, 157, 107973. [SSCI; IF = 3.65, Q1 in Experimental Psychology] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0301051120301332
- Lui, M., Lau, G. K. B., Tam, V. C. W.*, Chiu, H. M., Li, S. S. C., & Sin, K. F. (2020). Parents’ impact on children’s school performance: marital satisfaction, parental involvement, and mental health. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 29, 1548-1560. [SSCI; IF = 2.52; Q2 in Developmental and Educational Psychology] https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10826-019-01655-7.pdf
- Zou, Y., Lui, M., & Tsang, Y. K. (2020). The roles of lexical tone and rime during Mandarin sentence comprehension: An event-related potential study. Neuropsychologia, 107578. [SCI; IF = 3.28; Q1 in Behavioral Neuroscience] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0028393220302517
- Yang, L. J., Chiu, H. M., Sin, K. F., & Lui, M.* (2020). The effects of school support on school engagement with self-determination as a mediator in students with special needs. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 69(2), 399-414.
. (* corresponding author) [SSCI; IF = 1.74; Q2 in Health Professions] https://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8SS4VTPU5UT83NATWC9C/full?target=10.1080/1034912X.2020.1719046
- Lui, M.*, So, W. C., & Tsang, Y. K. (2018). Neural Evidence for Reduced Automaticity in Processing Emotional Prosody among Men with High Levels of Autistic Traits. Physiology & Behavior, 196, 47-58. [SSCI; IF = 3.20; Q2 in Behavioral Neuroscience] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031938418306899
- Lui, M.*, Lui, K. F.H., Wong, A. C. N., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2018). Suppression of 12-Hz SSVEPs when Viewing Familiar Faces: An Electrophysiological Index to Detect Recognition. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 133, 159-168. [SCI; IF = 3.0; Q2 in Neuroscience] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016787601830076X
- Lui, M.*, & Hsu, M. (2018). Viewing sexual images is associated with reduced physiological arousal response to gambling loss. PLoS ONE,13(4), e0195748. [SCI; IF = 3.57; Q1 in Medicine] https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195748
- Lui, M.*, Yang, L., & Sin, K. F. (2017). Parents’ perspective of the impact of school practices on the functioning of students with special educational needs. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 1:20. [SSCI; IF = 1.74; Q2 in Health Professions] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1034912X.2017.1315803
- Tsang, Y. K., Huang, J., Lui, M., Xue, M., Chan, Y. W. F., Wang, S., & Chen, H. C. (2017). MELD-SCH: A megastudy of lexical decision in simplified Chinese. Behavior Research Methods, 1-15. [SSCI; IF = 4.71; rank: 6/88, Q1 in Experimental Psychology] https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13428-017-0944-0
- Lui, M.*, Sin, K. F., Yang, L., Forlin, C., & Ho, F. C. (2015). Knowledge and perceived social norm predict parents’ attitudes towards inclusive education. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 19, 1052-1067. [SSCI; IF = 1.38] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13603116.2015.1037866
- So, W. C., Wong, M. K. Y., Lui, M., & Yip, V. (2015). The development of co-speech gesture and its semantic integration with speech in six- to 12-year-old children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism, 19, 956-968. [SSCI; IF = 5.87; Q1 in Developmental and Educational Psychology]
- So, W. C., Lui, M., Wong, T. K., & Sit, L. T. (2015).The use of hand gestures to communicate about nonpresent objects in mind among children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 58, 373-382. [SSCI; IF = 2.64, Q1 in Medicine] https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1362361314556783
- Yang, L., Sin, K. F., & Lui, M. (2015). Social, emotional, and academic functioning of children with SEN integrated in Hong Kong primary schools. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 24, 545-555. [SSCI; IF = .85]
- Yan, Z., Lum, C. W. R., Lui, T. L. R., Chu, S. W. S., & Lui, M. (2015). Measuring teaching assistants’ efficacy using Rasch model. Journal of Applied Measurement, 16(1), 60-75.
- Yang L., Sin K. F., Li X. Y., Guo, J. S. & Lui, M. (2014). Understanding the power of feedback in education: A validation study of the Feedback Orientation Scale (FOS) in Classrooms. The International Journal of Psychological and Educational Assessment (TIJEPA), 16 (2), 20-46.
- Lui. M., Penney, T. B., & Schirmer, A. (2011). Emotion effects on timing: Attention versus pacemaker accounts. PLoS One, 6(7), e21829. [SCI; IF = 3.57; Q1 in Medicine] ] https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0021829
- Chen, J. C. W., Li, W., Lui, M., & Paller, K. A. (2009). Left-frontal brain potentials index conceptual implicit memory for words initially viewed subliminally. Brain Research, 1285, 135-147. [SCI; IF = 3.19; Q2 in Neuroscience] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0006899309010968
- Lui, M.*, & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). The application of subliminal priming in lie detection: scenario for identification of members of a terrorist ring. Psychophysiology, 46, 889-903. [SCI; IF = 3.32; Q1 in Psychology] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2009.00810.x
- Lui, M.*, & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). Thirty-Site P300 scalp distribution, amplitude variance across sites, and amplitude in detection of deception regarding concealment of multiple guilty items. Social Neuroscience, 4, 491-509. [SCI; IF = 4.35] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17470910802047964
- Lui, M.*, & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2008). Detection of deception about multiple, concealed, mock crime items, based on a spatial-temporal analysis of ERP amplitude and scalp distribution. Psychophysiology, 45, 721-730. [SCI; IF = 4.0; Q1 in Cognitive Neuroscience] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2008.00683.x
- Rosenfeld, J. P., Labkovsky, E., Winograd, M., Lui, M., Vandenboom, C., & Chedid, E. (2008). The Complex Trial Protocol (CTP): A novel, countermeasure-resistant, accurate P300-based method for detection of concealed information. Psychophysiology, 45, 603-617. [SCI; IF = 4.0; Q1 in Cognitive Neuroscience] https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1469-8986.2008.00708.x
- Schirmer, A., Lui, M., Maess, B., Escoffier, N., Chan, M., & Penney, T. B. (2006). Task and sex modulate the brain response to emotional incongruity in Asian listeners. Emotion, 6, 406-417. [SCI; IF = 3.87; Q1 in Medicine] https://pure.mpg.de/rest/items/item_726784/component/file_726783/content
- (PI) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $836,600. (01/2023-06/2025) An Intervention to Improve Empathic Communication in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: a Randomized Controlled Trial.
- (PI) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $754,792. (01/2021-06/2023) Does executive function training modulate the effectiveness of self-determination intervention and postschool outcomes for adolescents with intellectual disability? An experimental intervention study.
- (PI) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $641,404. (01/2018-06/2022) Examining Affective Prosody Recognition among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and the Effectiveness of an Auditory Intervention using a Mobile App.
- (PI) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $600,000. (01/2016-06/2018) Decoding mental processes with electrophysiological measures: in search of an effective concealed information detection protocol. (PI)
- (Co-I Budget controller of $360,000) General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $665,352. (01/2015-06/2017) Examining the pivotal factors of attitudes towards inclusive education among parents of children with and without special educational needs in a Chinese community: Hong Kong.
- (Co-I Budget controller of $ 1,803,800) UGC Funding Scheme for Teaching and Learning Related Proposals. HKD $ 5,689,600 (09/2017-02/2020). Special Educational Needs Empowerment Project for Pre-service Teachers.
- (Co-I) Research and Development Projects, Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCHOLAR). HK$ 1,096,663.6 (06/2018-05/2019). The use of perceptual training in a mobile application to improve Chinese reading performance in children with dyslexia.
- (PI) National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 676,000. (2010-2011). Examining the neural correlates of processing information related to love and hatred, and how these two types of information affect other cognitive processes. .
- (PI) National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 498,000. (2009-2010). An investigation on deception and decision making among fraud offenders and normal subjects with cognitive neuroscience techniques.
- (Co-I Budget controller of $450,000) Hong Kong Baptist University Interdisciplinary Research Clusters (IRCMs) HKD$ 2,994,600 (1/6/2019-30/6/2022). Interpretable machine learning aided understanding of complex brain and behavior: from typical individual differences to brain disorders.
- (Co-I Budget controller of $510,000) Hong Kong Baptist University Interdisciplinary Research Matching Scheme HKD $2,940,000. (1/9/2017-31/12/2021). A multimensional approach to examine the neural correlates of autistic traits in children, measured via EEG during resting states and social cognition tasks.
- (PI). National Central University, Taiwan. NTD $ 100,000. (2009-2010). On the role of emotional arousal on sex offender’s decision making and their interaction with opposite and same sex people.
- (Co-PI) National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $8000. (2008-2009). Memory performance among musicians and non-musicians.
- (Co-PI) National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $ 8000. (2007-2008). Temporal judgments in different emotional states.
- 冼權鋒、呂明合編（2020）：《共融服務學習指南》，香港，香港教育學院特殊學習需要與融合教育中心。ISBN 978-988-12369-6-8
- 張家偉、彭梓鳴、呂明、 冼權鋒(2019) 。在融合教育中實踐服務學習概念：個案示範，以新視窗打開《香港教師中心學報》，第十八卷， 1-13。 https://www.edb.org.hk/HKTC/download/journal/j18/A01.pdf
- EDUC 3007 Inclusive Education and Special Educational Needs
- EDUC 7250 Inclusive Education
- PSYC 3007 Cognitive Psychology
Postgraduate Diploma in Education:
- EDUC 7270 Professional Teacher Development II
Masters of Education:
- EDUC 7610 Data Analysis for Education
- EDUM 7400 Managing Learning Diversity in Inclusive Education Settings
- EDUM 7520 International Perspectives in Inclusive Education
Doctor of Education
- EDUD 7130 Issues in Child and Adolescent Development Research
- EDUD 7030 Development of Research Prospectus and Thesis
- Dec 2015 Learning & Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Jan 2011 National Tsing Hua University Neuroscience Club
- Apr 2010 National Cheng-Chi University Graduate Seminar
- Nov 2009 National Central University Frontier Symposium
- Nov 2009 Chung Shan Medical University Department of Psychology
- Apr 2009 Chinese University of Hong Kong Department of Psychology
- Mar 2009 Nanyang Technological University Division of Psychology
- Mar 2009 National Yang Ming University Institute of Neuroscience
- Mar 2009 National Central University Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Jul 2008 Baylor College of Medicine Human Neuroimaging Lab
- Jan 2006 Northwestern University Cognitive Psychology Group
- May 2006 Northwestern University Undergraduate course
Academic & Professional Experience (2011-present)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Information Learning Sciences (Emerald Publishing Journal) http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/editorial_team.htm?id=ils
- Reviewer Editor of Frontiers in Education
- Reviewer for journals including Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Asia Pacific Journal of Education, International Journal of Inclusive Education, Psychophysiology, Biological Psychology, PLoS One, Timing & Time Perception
- External reviewer of the Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-Financing Degree Sector of the RGC
- International Programme Committee for the International Conference on Computational Thinking Education 2017-present
- Programme Committee of the Learning and Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Ph.D. dissertation co-supervisor, master’s thesis supervisor and committee member