B.Sc., The University of Hong Kong
Dip.Ed., The Chinese University of Hong Kong
B.Sc., DipEd, M.A., Ph.D., University of London
Adjunct Professor, Department of Education Studies
Academic & Professional Experience
2010 - 2013 Associate Dean (Research), Faculty of Social Sciences, HKBU
2013 - 2017 Director, Centre for Child Development, HKBU
|1997 –2017||Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University|
|1994 – 2002||Head, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University|
- Psychology of Moral Development
- Prosocial and Antisocial Behavior of Adolescents
- Moral Education
- Whole-Person Education
- Problematic Internet Use
- Consulting and Action Editor, International Journal of Psychology, 2006 –2009 (Editorial Advisor, 2010 - present)
- Member of Research and Development Committee, Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority, 2000 – present.
- Member of Education Panel, Research Assessment Exercise 2006, RGC, Hong Kong
- Senior Editor of the Journal of Psychology in Chinese Societies, 1998 - 2003.
- Member of the Assessment Working Group on Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence, Quality Education Fund , 2003-2004 & 2010-present.
1. Ma, H. K. (2017). The development of altruism with special reference to human relationships: A ten-stage theory. Frontiers in Public Health: Child Health and Human Development. Accepted for publication.
2. Xu, Z. X., & Ma, H. K. (2016). How Can a Deontological Decision Lead to Moral Behavior? The Moderating Role of Moral Identity. Journal of Business Ethics, 137, 537-549. (Advance Online Publication in 2015).
3. Xu, Z. X. & Ma. H. K. (2015). Does Honesty Result from Moral Will or Moral Grace? Why Moral Identity Matters. Journal of Business Ethics, 127, 371-384. (Advance online publication in 2014).
4. Ma, H. K. (2013). The Moral Development of the Child: An Integrated Model. Frontiers in Public Health: Child Health and Human Development, 1:57. (18 printed pages; 16699 words). doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2013.00057.)
5. Ma, H. K., Li, S. S.C., & Pow, J. W. C. (2011). The relation of Internet use to prosocial and antisocial behaviour in Chinese adolescents. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 14 (3), 123-130.
6. Ma, H. K., & Shek, D. T. L. (2010). Subjective outcome evaluation of a positive youth development program in Hong Kong: Profiles and correlates. The Scientific World Journal – TSW Child Health and Human Development, 10, 192-200.
7. Ma, H. K. (2009). Moral development and moral education: An integrated approach. Educational Research Journal (Hong Kong), 24, 293-326.
8. Ma, H. K., Cheung, P. C., & Shek, D. T. L. (2007). The relation of prosocial orientation to peer interactions, family social environment and personality of Chinese adolescents. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 31(1), 12-18.
9. Shek, D.T.L. & Ma, H. K. (Series Eds.) (2006-2008). P.A.T.H.S. to Adulthood: A Jockey Club Youth Enhancement Scheme. Secondary One to Three Curriculum –Activity Handbook (a total of 7 volumes and 1,983 pages for the Chinese version, and 7 volumes and 2,157 pages for the English version). Hong Kong: Social Welfare Practice and Research Centre, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (available in CD-ROM and Hard-copy versions). (This curriculum package is used by more than 200 secondary schools in Hong Kong).
- Ma, H. K. (2003). The relation of moral orientation and moral judgment to prosocial and antisocial behavior of Chinese adolescents. International Journal of Psychology, 38, 101-111.
- Ma, H. K., Shek, D.T.L., Cheung, P.C., & Lam, C.O.B. (2000). Parental, peer, and teacher influences on the social behavior of Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 161, 65-78.
- Ma, H. K. (1997). T he affective and cognitive aspects of moral development in Chinese people: A seven stage development theory. Indigenous Psychological Research in Chinese Societies, 7, 166-212. (In Chinese).
- Ma, H. K., & Cheung, C. K. (1996). A cross-cultural study of moral stage structure in Hong Kong Chinese, English and Americans. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 27 , 700-713.
- Ma, H. K. (1992). The moral judgment development of the Chinese people: A theoretical model. Philosophica, 49, 55-82. (An article solicited by the special issue editor). (Also translated into Dutch by Sonja Eggerickx and published in MORES: Pedagisch tijdschrift voor morele problemen, 38 (2),81-92 (1993)).
- Ma, H. K. (1989). Moral orientation and moral judgment in adolescents: Hong Kong, Mainland China, and England. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 20, 152-177.
- Ma, H. K. (1988). The Chinese perspectives on moral judgment development. International Journal of Psychology, 23, 201-227.