Academic & Professional Experience
- 2014- present: Assistant Professor, Hong Kong Baptist University
- 2011-2014: Research Assistant Professor, Hong Kong Baptist University
- 2009-2011: Senior Research Assistant, The University of Hong Kong
- 2006-2009: Research Assistant, The University of Hong Kong
- 2001-2004: Educational Technology Specialist, Thomas Edison State College, US
- Web 2.0 technologies (e.g. blogs, wiki, Facebook) in education
- Multitasking with mobile phone and computer
- Informal learning
- Online community and social networking
- Exploring the role of digital technologies for university students: Tool for learning or source of distraction? (2017-2018). Faculty Research Grant:$99,660 (as PI)
- Investigating Hong Kong Students’ Critical News Literacy in the Age of Social Media (2017-2018). Public Policy Research Fund, Central Policy Unit. $492,982 (as CoI).
- Tracking and Examining the Diversity of Hong Kong and Singapore’s Youth and the Young’s patterns of Engagement in New Media and the resultant New Literacies Practices, inside and outside school (2012-2014) General Research Fund: $ 633,849 (as PI)
- Cross-cultural blended teaching and learning: Fostering critical thinking and collaborative learning (as PI), 2013-2014, Teaching Development Grants: $196,940
- Exploring participatory pedagogy with wikis: A design approach (2012-2013). Faculty Research Grant: $49,800 (as PI)
- Exploring students’ motivation in online participation (2011-2012) Hong Kong Baptist University Start-up Grant: $100,000 (as PI)
Refereed journal articles/book chapters:
- Deng, L. (accepted) Exploring participatory learning through wiki: A review of literature. International Journal on E-Learning.
- Deng, L., Li, S., & Lu, J. (accepted), Supporting collaborative group projects with Web 2.0 tools: A holistic approach. Innovations in Education and Teaching International.
- Deng, L., Chen, Y., & Li, S. (2017). Supporting cross-cultural online discussion with formal and informal platforms: A case between Hong Kong and Taiwan. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 12:5.
- Deng, L., Connelly, J., & Lau, M. (2016). Interest-driven digital practices of secondary students: Cases of connected learning. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction, 9, 45–54.
- Commander, N., Ku, K. Y. L., Gallagher, P., Ashong, C., Deng, L., & Li, S. (2016). Cross-national online discussions with U. S. and Hong Kong education students. Journal of Technology and Teacher Education, 24(4), 383-413.
- Deng, L. & Tavares, N. (2015). Exploring university students’ use of technologies beyond the formal learning context: A tale of two online platforms. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology. 31(3), 313-327.
- Connelly, J., Deng, L. (2014). Book review: Reading in a participatory culture: Remixing Moby-Dick in the English classroom. Pedagogies: An International Journal. 9(2), 172–178.
- Deng, L. & Tavares, N. (2013). From Moodle to Facebook: Exploring students’ motivation and experiences in online communities. Computers & Education. 68, 167–1
- Deng, L. & Yuen, H. K. (2013). Blogs in pre-service teacher education: Exploring the participation issue. Technology, Pedagogy and Education.22(3), 339-356.
- Lu, J. & Deng, L. (2013). Examining students’ use of online annotation tools in support of argumentative reading. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology. 29(2), http://ascilite.org.au/ajet/submission/index.php/AJET/article/view/159/.
- Lu, J. & Deng, L. (2012). Reading actively online: An exploratory investigation of online annotation tools for inquiry learning. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology, 38(3)
- Deng, L. & Yuen, H. K. (2012). Understanding student perceptions and motivation towards academic blogs: An exploratory study. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 28(1), 48-66. http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet28/deng.html.
- Deng, L., & Yuen, H.K. (2011). Towards a framework for educational affordances of blogs. Computers & Education, 56(2), 441-451.
- Deng, L., & Yuen, H. K. (2010). Exploring the role of blogs in a blended community: An integrative approach. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 5(2), 1-19.
- Deng, L., & Yuen, H. K. (2010). Designing blended learning communities. In F. L. Wang, J. Fong & R. C. Kwan (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Hybrid Learning Models: Advanced Tools, Technologies, and Application (pp. 228-243). Hershey: Information Science Publishing.
- Deng, L., & Yuen, H. K. (2009). Blogs in higher education: Implementation and issues. TechTrends, 53(3), 95-98.
- Yuen, H. K., Deng, L., & Fox, R. (2009). Use of WebCT in online and blended modes. Interactive Technology and Smart Education, 6(4), 254-260.
- Yuen, H. K., Deng, L., Fox, R., & Tavares, N. J. (2009). Engaging students with online discussion in a blended learning context: Issues and implications. In F. L. Wang, J. Fong, L. Zhang, & V. S. Lee (Eds.), Hybrid Learning and Education, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS 5685) (pp. 150-162). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
- Yuen, H. K., Fox, R., Sun, A., & Deng, L. (2009). Course management systems in higher education: Understanding student experiences.Interactive Technology and Smart Education, 6(3), 189 – 205.
- Deng, L., & Yuen, H. K. (2007). Connecting adult learners with an online community: Challenges and opportunities. Research and Practice in Technology Enhanced Learning, 2(3), 1-18.
Refereed conference proceedings/papers:
- Deng, L., Connelly, J., Lau, M., & Ku, K. Y. L. (2015). Exploring Hong Kong Youth’s engagement with digital technologies outside school. In W. W. K. Ma, A. H. K. Yuen, J. Park, W. W. F. Lau, & L. Deng (Eds.), New media, knowledge practices and multiliteracies. Hong Kong: Springer.
- Zhang, G., Deng, L. (2015). An exploratory study on interactive whiteboard usage on enhancing oral English in secondary classrooms. In W. W. K. Ma, A. H. K. Yuen, J. Park, W. W. F. Lau, & L. Deng (Eds.), New media, knowledge practices and multiliteracies. Hong Kong: Springer.
- Deng, L., Lau, M., Li, S., Connelly, J. (2014) Supporting Inquiry-Based Group Projects With Web 2.0 Tools: A Multiplex Approach. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Philadelphia, PA.
- Deng, L., Tavares, N. & Low, Z. (2013). From Moodle to Facebook: Exploring students’ motivation for online discussion. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA.
- Deng, L. & Tavares, N. (2012). Exploring pre-service teachers’ perceptions of and participation in online communities. Paper presented at the 20th International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE2012), Singapore.
- Deng, L. & Yuen, H. K. (2009). Value of blogs in preservice teacher education. Paper presented at the 17th International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE2009), Hong Kong. [Nominated as the best student paper]
- Lin, P., Deng, L., Chen, C., & Wang, Y. (2008). Studying the effects of video-based case design. Paper presented at AERA Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
- Deng, L., & Yuen, H. K. (2007). Connecting preservice teachers with weblogs: Design issues. Paper presented at the World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia & Telecommunications (Ed-Media 2007), Vancouver, Canada.
- Deng, L., & Yuen, H. K. (2007). Exploring the role of weblogs in supporting learning communities: An integrative approach. In ICT: Providing choices for learners and learning. Proceedings ascilite Singapore 2007. http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/singapore07/procs/deng.pdf
- Sun, L. & Deng, L. (2007). Online community of practice for in-service faculty development of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPCK). In C. Crawford et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education International Conference 2007 (pp. 2267-2271). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
- Yuen, H. K., & Deng, L. (2006). Self-directed learning in technology supported project work. Paper presented at the 14th International Conference on Computers in Education (ICCE2006), Beijing, China.
Professional & Community Services
- Program Committee Member for ICALT 2014 (The 14th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies)
- Organizing Committee and Publication Chair of HKAECT 2014 International Conference
- Reviewer for journals including Computers & Education (since 2010), Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (since 2008), Journal of Educational Computing Research (since 2009)
- Member of Asia-Pacific Society for Computers in Education (APSCE), 2007 – present
- Leader of education team, HKU 512 Sichuan reconstruction team, 2009
- Coordinator, Online interactive class between students at Hong Kong and Sichuan, 2009
- Member of Organizing Committee, Transforming Learning Through Technology @ HKU Symposium, 2008
- Member of Doctor of Education (EdD) Review Panel, University of Hong Kong, 2008
- Chair and Webmaster, Division for IT, Columbia University Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CUCSSA), 2004 -2005