B.Sc., The University of Hong Kong
Dip.Ed., The Chinese University of Hong Kong
B.Sc., DipEd, M.A., Ph.D., University of London
Professor, Department of Education Studies
Academic & Professional Experience
|1997 – Present||Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University|
|1994 – 2002||Head, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University|
- Psychology of Moral Development
- Prosocial and Antisocial Behavior of Adolescents
- Moral Education
- Whole-Person Education
- Problematic Internet Use
- Consulting and Action Editor, International Journal of Psychology, 2006 –2009 (Editorial Advisor, 2010 – present)
- Member of Research and Development Committee, Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority, 2000 – present.
- Member of Education Panel, Research Assessment Exercise 2006, RGC, Hong Kong
- Senior Editor of the Journal of Psychology in Chinese Societies, 1998 – 2003.
- Member of the Assessment Working Group on Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence, Quality Education Fund , 2003-2004 & 2010-present.
- Ma, H. K., Li, S. S.C., & Pow, J. W. C. (in press). The relation of Internet use to prosocial and antisocial behaviour in Chinese adolescents. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking.
- Ma, H. K., & Shek, D. T. L. (2010). Subjective outcome evaluation of a positive youth development program in Hong Kong: Profiles and correlates. The Scientific World Journal – TSW Child Health and Human Development, 10, 192-200.
- Ma, H. K. (2009). Moral development and moral education: An integrated approach. Educational Research Journal (Hong Kong), 24, 293-326.
- Ma, H. K., Cheung, P. C., & Shek, D. T. L. (2007). The relation of prosocial orientation to peer interactions, family social environment and personality of Chinese adolescents. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 31(1), 12-18.
- Ma, H. K. & Sun, R. C. F. (2006). Development of a Positive Youth Development Program in Hong Kong: Overview of the proposed curriculum for the junior secondary school years. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 18(3), 417-431.
- Shek, D.T.L. & Ma, H. K. (Series Eds.) (2006-2008). P.A.T.H.S. to Adulthood: A Jockey Club Youth Enhancement Scheme. Secondary One to Three Curriculum –Activity Handbook (a total of 7 volumes and 1,983 pages for the Chinese version, and 7 volumes and 2,157 pages for the English version). Hong Kong: Social Welfare Practice and Research Centre, The Chinese University of Hong Kong (available in CD-ROM and Hard-copy versions). (This curriculum package is used by more than 200 secondary schools in Hong Kong).
- Ma, H. K. (2003). The relation of moral orientation and moral judgment to prosocial and antisocial behavior of Chinese adolescents. International Journal of Psychology, 38, 101-111.
- Ma, H. K., Shek, D.T.L., Cheung, P.C., & Lam, C.O.B. (2000). Parental, peer, and teacher influences on the social behavior of Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 161, 65-78.
- Ma, H. K. (1997). T he affective and cognitive aspects of moral development in Chinese people: A seven stage development theory. Indigenous Psychological Research in Chinese Societies, 7, 166-212. (In Chinese).
- Ma, H. K., & Cheung, C. K. (1996). A cross-cultural study of moral stage structure in Hong Kong Chinese, English and Americans. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 27 , 700-713.
- Ma, H. K. (1992). The moral judgment development of the Chinese people: A theoretical model. Philosophica, 49, 55-82. (An article solicited by the special issue editor). (Also translated into Dutch by Sonja Eggerickx and published in MORES: Pedagisch tijdschrift voor morele problemen, 38 (2),81-92 (1993)).
- Ma, H. K. (1989). Moral orientation and moral judgment in adolescents: Hong Kong, Mainland China, and England. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 20, 152-177.
- Ma, H. K. (1988). The Chinese perspectives on moral judgment development. International Journal of Psychology, 23, 201-227.