L.T.C.L. (Singing), L.T.C.L. (Piano), Trinity College of London, U.K.
F.L.C.M (Singing), London College of Music, U.K.
B.A. (Hons), Dip.Ed., M.Phil., The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Ph.D., University of British Columbia, Canada
Associate Professor, Department of Education Studies
Academic & Professional Experience
Associate Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
Assistant Registrar, Hong Kong Council for Academic Accreditation
Lecturer (Graduate), Department of Music, Sir Robert Black Campus, Hong Kong Institute of Education
- Music Education
- Teacher Education
- Education Assessment
- Curriculum Studies
- Inclusive Education
Principal Investigator, An exploratory study of primary music teachers’ concerns about inclusive music teaching, a 3-year research project funded by the General Research Fund for 2011-2012. Completed.
- Principal Investigator, “Adapted Music Curriculum Framework (Primary 1 – Secondary 3) for Students with Intellectual Disabilities”, funded by the Education Bureau (2016-2017).
- Member, Assessment Panel on Arts Education Key Learning Area, Hong Kong Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (2016-2017).
- Principal Investigator, Developing Music Curriculum for Junior Secondary Schools in Macau, funded by the Government of Macau SAR(2015).
- Chair, Assessment Panel on Arts Education Key Learning Area, Hong Kong Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (2011-2012).
- Consultant, “The Adapted Music Curriculum Framework under the Senior Secondary Curriculum for Students with Intellectual Disabilities”, Education Bureau.
- Consultant, “Pilot Project on the Development of Learning Outcomes Frameworks in Music”, Education Bureau.
- External Examiner, The Education University of Hong Kong.
- External Examiner, Open University of Hong Kong.
- Examiner, Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority.
- Examiner, Hong Kong Arts Development Council.
- Member, Assessment Panel on the Arts Education Key Learning Area of the Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence (2006-2007)
- Member, Bachelor of Music Program Revalidation Panel of Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
- Member, Music Textbook Review Panel (Secondary), Textbook Committee, Education Bureau.
- External School Reviewer, Quality Assurance Section, Education Bureau
- Subject Specialist, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation Academic and Vocational Qualifications
- External Assessor, Quality Education Fund
- Member, International Editorial Board of the International Journal of Music Education
- Reviewer, European Journal of Teacher Education
- Reviewer, Teaching and Teacher Education
- Reviewer, Journal of Curriculum Studies</li.
- Reviewer, The Chinese University Education Journal
- Reviewer, New Horizons in Education, Journal of Education
- Wong, M.W., M.P. Chik and S.E. Chan. Stressors and stressor response levels of Hong Kong Primary Schools Music Teachers. International Journal of Music Education. (In press).
- Inclusive education in Hong Kong primary music classrooms. Arts Education Policy Review, 117(2)(2016): 130-140. DOI: 10.1080/10632913.2014.966286.
- Understanding the professional development needs of Hong Kong special schools music teachers. International Journal of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning, 8(2)(2016): 1-19.
- Wong, M.W., M.P. Chik and S.E. Chan. Measuring concerns of inclusive music teaching in Hong Kong: Scale development. Music Education Research, 18(3)(2015): 317-330. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2015.1049259.
- Wong, M.W., M.P. Chik. Teaching students with special educational needs in inclusive music classrooms: Experiences of music teachers in Hong Kong primary schools. Music Education Research, 18(2)(2015): 195-207. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2015.1044509.
- Wong, M.W., M.P. Chik. Learned helplessness in the inclusive music classroom: Voices of Hong Kong primary schools music teachers. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 19(9) (2015): 965-977. DOI: 10.1080/13603116.2015.1019374.
- Adapting the music curriculum for senior secondary students with intellectual disabilities in Hong Kong: Content, pedagogy and mindsets. Music Education Research, 17(1)(2015): 71-87. DOI: 10.1080/14613808.2014.906396.
- Assessment for Learning a decade on: Self-reported assessment practices of secondary school music teachers in Hong Kong. International Journal of Music Education, 32(1)(2014): 70-83.
- R. M. Klassen, E. Chapman, A. Siu, M. Wong, W. Hannok and N. Wongsri. Pre-service’ work stress and occupational commitment of pre-service in four countries. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 28, (2013): 1289-1309.
- Developing Integrated Arts Curriculums in Hong Kong: Chaos Theory at work? Curriculum Inquiry, 43(2) (2013): 210-232.
- (C. M. Wong, D. J. Blankenship & M. W. Wong) Programmatic Assessment of Student Learning Outcomes in General Education: Best Practices, Resources adn Examples. Conference Proceedings of General Education and University Curriculum Reform: An International Conference in Hong Kong, (2013).
- Initiating Small Class Teaching in Hong Kong: video reflective narratives and the professional developmental learning model. Teacher Development, 16(4) (2012): 1-16.
- (R. M. Klassen, S. Al-Dhafri, C. F. Mansfield, E. Purwanto, A. Siu, M. W. Wong and A. Woods-McConney) Teachers’ engagement at work: An international validation study. The Journal of Experimental Education, 80(4) (2012): 1-20.
- Integrated Arts Curriculum in Hong Kong Secondary Schools. Arts Education Policy Review, 113 (2012): 1-6.
- Adapted action research as an instructional strategy in a music teacher education program in Hong Kong. Music Education Research, 13(1) (2011): 107-120.
- Music teacher education. In Penelope Peterson, Eva Baker, Barry McGraw, (Eds) International Encyclopedia of Education, 3rd Ed., Vol 7, pp. 706-711. Oxford: Elsevier. (2010)
- (與簡梁以瑚)。《藝術的綜合學習：課程示例》。香港：教育統籌局。[(with E. Liang) A Collection of Exemplars of “Integrated Learning of the Arts”. Hong Kong: Education Bureau.] (ISBN: 978962896777-3) (2009)
- (with Forrestor, V.). Formative assessment in the Hong Kong primary classroom: what gives? Music Education Research, 10(3) (2008): 271-284.
- Choosing to teach music: Reflections of elementary music teachers in Vancouver and Hong Kong. Asian Social Science, 4(2) (2008): 45-53.
- ‘Assessment for learning’ and teacher development: The experience of three Hong Kong teachers. Teacher Development, 11(3) (2007): 295-312.
- (with Young, Sandra S. Y.) Applying Self-referenced Formative Assessment to Music Listening. Asia-Pacific Journal for Arts Education, 5(1) (2007): 3-22.
- A Cross Cultural Comparison of Teachers’ Expressed Beliefs about Music Education and their Practices in Classroom Music Teaching. Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice, 11(4) (2005): 397-418.
- 〈孩子不愛看樂譜？〉，《學前教育》第40期 (2005)：106。
- 〈幼兒應該學樂理嗎？〉，《學前教育》第42期 (2005)：114。
- 《音樂科促進學習的評估示例匯編》。香港：教育統籌局。共74頁。[A Collection of Exemplars of “Assessment for Learning”: Music. Hong Kong: Education Bureau. 74 pages.] (ISBN: 962881411-7)。(2004)
- (與簡梁以瑚) 。《視覺藝術科促進學習的評估示例匯編》。香港：教育統籌局。共47頁。[(with E. Liang) A Collection of Exemplars of “Assessment for Learning”: Visual Art. Hong Kong: Education Bureau. 47 pages.] (ISBN: 962881410-9)。(2004)
- 〈幾歲適合學鋼琴？〉《學前教育》第19期 (2003)：108.
- 〈把練琴變成演奏會〉《學前教育》第24期 (2003)：108.
- “Music lessons in the elementary schools of Vancouver and Hong Kong: content and pedagogy” Asia-Pacific Journal for Arts Education 1(1) (2002): 27-41.
- “Musical beliefs in Western and Chinese civilizations” Curriculum and Teaching, 16(1) (2001): 87-103.