BSocSc, MSW HKU, MA, PhD Minnesota-Twin Cities, RSWHK
Professor, Department of Education Studies
Academic & Professional Experience
|2005 – Present
||Professor, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
|2011 – Present
||Associate Head, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
|1999 – 2010
||Master of Education Programme Coordinator, Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Parenting and child development
- Homework involvement
- Adolescent development
- Gender issues
- Qualitative research methodology
- Learning communities
- Associate Editor, Journal of Family & Economic Issues (Springer), from 2014
- Editor, Cogent Educatin (Taylor & Francis), from 2017
- Consultant, Self-Directed Learning Project, Hong Kong Christian Service, from 2017
- Member, High-level Advisory Panel of Chief Executive’s Award for Teaching Excellence, Education Bureau, 2012 & 2018
- External Examiner, United International College, Hong Kong Baptist University, from 2013
- External Assessor, School of Arts and Social Science, Open University of Hong Kong, 2014
- Member, Programme Validation Panels, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications, 2011 & 2012
- Tam, V. C., Chan, J. W., Li, S. C., & Pow, J. (2018). Developing and managing school human capital for information and communication technology integration: A case study of a school-based e-learning project in Hong Kong. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 21(4), 447-461. Doi 10.1080/13603124.2017.1318958
- 譚肖芸、朱麗英、林德育、及趙潔華 (2017) 。《復活假無功課-自主學習計劃研究報告》。http://www.hkcs.org/commu-z/press2017/EasterNoHomework-FullReport.pdf
- Sivan, A., Tam, V. C., Tam, E., Ho, M., Kwan, Y. W., Louie, L. Ng, J.. Ng. P., Wong, O., & Yeung, S. W. (2016). Building learning community through a transdisciplinary multi-layered approach. Learning Communities Journal, 8(1), 71-97.
- Tam, V. C., & Chan, R. M. (2016). What is homework for? Hong Kong primary school teachers’ homework conceptions. School Community Journal, 26(1), 25-44.
- Zhang, L. F., Wan, W. W., Luk, C. L., Tam, V. C., & Wu, P. G. (2016). Adolescents’ intent attributions for parental behaviors: Development of a measurement. Psychological Reports, 118(3), 1011-38.
- Chan, J. W., Tam, V. C., Li, S. C., & Pow, J. (2016). The development of an assignment coding guide for evaluating ICT usage in 21st century primary school in Hong Kong. Journal of the International Society for Teacher Education, 20(1), 54-66.
- Sivan, A., Tam, V. C., Hu, A., Chan, W. K., Leung, A. Y., Chaudhuri, T., Chow, B. C., Hung, S. S., Kim, L. E., Mah, D. N., Shroff, R., & Wong, O. M. (2016). Designing and implementing a two-level community of practice project to develop a teaching portfolio framework. Learning Communities Journal, 8(2), 51-96.
- Zhang, L. F., Tam, V. C., Wan, W. W., Wu, P. G., & Luk, C. L. (2015). An exploratory study on school children’s intent attributions for parental structuring behaviors. Psychological Reports: Relationships & Communications, 116(1), 249-273.
- Tam, V. C., & Lam, R. S. (2013). The roles and contributions of fathers in families with school-age children in Hong Kong. In K. B. Chan (Ed.), International Handbook of Chinese Families (pp. 379-392). New York: Springer.
- Seiffge-Krenke, I., Persike, M., Chau, C., Hendry, L. B., Kloepp, M., Terzini-Hollar, M., Tam, V, Naranjo, C. R., Herrera, D., Menna, P., Rohail, I., Veisson, M., Hoareau, E., Luwe, M., Loncaric, D., Han, H., & Regusch, L. (2012). Differences in agency? How adolescents from 18 countries perceive and cope with their futures. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 36(4), 258-270.
- Tam, V. C., & Chan, R. M. (2011). Homework involvement and functions: Perceptions of Hong Kong Chinese primary school students and parents. Educational Studies, 37(5), 569-580.
- Tam, V. C., & Chan, R. M. (2010). Hong Kong parents’ perceptions and experiences of involvement in homework: A family capital and resource management perspective. Journal of Family and Economic Issue, 31, 361-370.
- Tam, V. C., & Chan, R. M. (2009). Parental involvement in primary children’s homework in Hong Kong. School Community Journal, 19(2), 81-100.
- Tam, V. C. (2009). Homework involvement among Hong Kong primary school students. Asian Pacific Journal of Education, 29(2), 213-227.
- Tam, V. C. (2009). A comparison of father’s and mother’s contributions in the prediction of academic performance of school-age children in Hong Kong. Journal of International Psychology, 44(2), 147-156.
- Tam, V. C. (2008). Patterns of coping style among Chinese adolescents in Hong Kong. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 20(1), 73-83.
- Tam, V. C., & Lam, R. S. (2005). Stress and coping among migrant and local-born adolescents in Hong Kong. Youth and Society, 36(3), 312-332.
- Tam, V. C., & Lam, R. S. (2005). Parenting style in problem-solving situations: A cultural exploration based on structured observational methods in Hong Kong. In G. W. Peterson, S. K. Steinmetz, & S. M. Wilson (Eds.), Parent-youth relations: Cultural and cross-cultural perspectives (pp. 43-58). New York: Haworth.
- Tam, V. C., & Lam, R. S. (2003). Parenting style of Chinese fathers in Hong Kong: Correlates with children’s school-related performance. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 15(1), 51-62.
- Tam, V. C. (2001). A family ecological analysis on child care use in Hong Kong. Children and Society, 15(3), 181-192.