PhD (Policy, Administration and Social Sciences Education), The University of Hong Kong
PgD (Museum Studies), The University of Sydney
BA (History) and M. Phil (History), The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies
Academic & Professional Experiences/ Awards
- Assistant Professor, The Department of Education Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Visiting Lecturer, Hong Kong Baptist University, HKU SPACE, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Hong Kong Community College
- Teacher, Panel Head, Secondary School
- Assistant Curator II, Museum
Short-term Visiting Scholar, Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica
Visiting Fellowship, Faculty of Asian Studies, Australian National University
Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowships
History of Education; State, Identity and Education Policy and Practice; Museography and Museum Education
- Subject Instruction I (LS);
- Subject Instruction II (LS);
- China and Chinese Culture and Global Society;
- Issues in Hong Kong Society and Culture;
- Teaching and Learning of society and culture;
- Teacher Self Development;
- Globalization Studies;
- Seminar on Subject Teaching (LS) I;
- Seminar on Subject Teaching (LS) II;
- Teaching of a Second Subject (LS);
- Professional Teacher Development (II)
Selected Academic/ Consultancy/ Professional/ University Service
- Coordinator, Student Support Committee, EDUC, HKBU (2016-)
- Member, HKBU Library Committee (2014-2016)
- Member, CESE Women’s Network (2014, 2016), Comparative Education Society in Europe;
- Treasurer, Executive Committee, CESHK (2012-4) — one of the (42) member societies of the World Council of the Comparative Education Societies
- Honorary Member, Public Policy Research Center, Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies, CUHK (2012-2017)
- External EdD Examiner, University of Bristol (2014-5)
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Critical Education Policy Studies (UK) (2011-)
- External Member, Academic Committee for the BA (Communication Studies/ Asian Studies) program, HKU SPACE and the University of Western Australia (2009- )
- Project Adviser, Tin Ka Ping Foundation (2012-2017)
- Member, Education Advisory Board, Asia Art Archive (2011-2014)
- Member, Editorial Board, Comparative Education Bulletin (CEB) / International Journal of Comparative Education and Development (IJCEB) (2012-2014)
- Member, CESHK Conference Organising Committee (2012-3) (CUHK)
- Member, CESHK Conference Organising Committee (2013-4) (HKUSPACE and HKBU)
- Conference proposal reviewer for CIES (2016) and CESHK (2013, 2014)
Selected Funded Research/ Consultancy Projects (since 2009-)
- Principal Investigator, “An Exploration of School Field-trip to Mainland in Hong Kong Secondary Schools: Students’ Self-Authoring Civic Identity” (2015-7) Public Policy Research (PPR) Funding Scheme (CIs: CHIU, S. LI and C. W. HUNG) (HK$ 630, 766)
- Principal Investigator, “Chinese Nationalism, Shadow State and Education: National Education in pro-ROC schools, Hong Kong, 1931-1997″ The Lord Wilson Heritage Trust (2015-8)(CI: S. Chiu) (HK$ 294,800)
- Co-Investigator, “Civil Society and Citizenship Education in Hong Kong SAR: The roles of NGOs and the state in post-1997″ General Research Fund (2014-7) (PI: T. Tse) (HK$ 393,494)
- Research Team Member, “Comparing Chinese identity amongst young people in different ‘Chinese’ communities.” The University of Tokyoとうきょうだいがく (2013-6) (PI: T. AKO)
- Co-Investigator, “A Study on Mainland (University) Students’ Adjustment in Hong Kong,” Central Policy Unit, HKSAR (2012-2013) (PI: S. Chiu) (HK$ 361,450)
- Associate Program Director, After-School Learning Support Partnership Pilot Scheme, EDB (2012-2015) (PD: S. Hung) (HK$ 120,000 for 2012)
- Principal Investigator, “Enhancing the effectiveness of the cross-border study for student teachers’ professional development” (TDG/1718/05) (CIs: TANG, K. Y and CHAN, H)
- Principal Investigator, “Chinese Nationalism, Shadow State and Education: National Education in pro-ROC schools, Hong Kong, Phase I” (2015) (FRG I) (CI: S Chiu)
- Principal Investigator, “An analysis of Liberal Studies Education in Hong Kong from a sociological perspective” (2010-2012) (FRG I)
- Principal Investigator, “Archival Research on History, Politics and Labour Education in Globalized Society: The Example of Labour Evening Schools, postwar-post-1997″ (2009-2010) (FRG I)
Selected Publications (since 2009-)
Refereed Authored Book
- Lau, C. S., Chiu, S. W. K & Liu, T. L. (First Author) (under contract). From Anti-Colonialism to Economic Globalisation: Patriotic Schools in Hong Kong. (on-going) (Routledge Series: Schools and Schooling in Asia) (Series Editor: Prof Kerry John Kennedy)
Refereed Journal Article/Edited Book Chapter/Other
- (2018) Hegemony and the politics of education in Hong Kong: from the post-war era to the post-handover era, Journal of Educational Administration and History,
- Lau, T. C. S. & Cheng, T. K. C (translated by Yamazaki & Ishizuka) (2018) “Data collection methods and reflection in comparative case studies: Hong Kong” book chapter季刊刑事弁護や刑事法をはじめとする法律や社会問題に関する書籍を出版 (in Japanese)
- Lau, T. C. S., Tse, T. K. C & Leung, Y. W. (2016). “Dynamics of Chinese Nationalistic Education in Hong Kong from 1945 to 2012″, Oxford Review of Education (University of Oxford) 42 (6) ). First author: 70% contribution
- Lau, T. C. S. (2015) “YMCA, YWCA” In Encyclopedia of World Poverty (ed. M. Odekon, 2nd edition). Thousand Oaks CA: SAGE Publications, pp. 1742-1745. http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781483345727.n889
- Lau, C. S. (2014) State Power and Education: Pro-Beijing Patriotic Schools in Hong Kong, from Post-War to Post-Retrocession (pp. 33-49). In S. W. K, Chiu, T. K., Lui and S. S. Yung (Eds.) Patriotic Political Left-wing’ Movement in Hong Kong. Hong Kong: Oxford University Press. 國家權力與教育——戰後至回歸前親共愛國學校在香港的發展 胸懷祖國：香港「愛國左派」運動 趙永佳、呂大樂、容世誠 (香港: 牛津大學出版社)，頁33-49
- Chiu, W. K., Zhang, H. H., Lau, C. S, Zhou, B. C. (2014) “The Mainland Students in Hong Kong: Pursing Higher Education, Career Plan and Living” 港漂大学生：求学择业及生活感受 Hong Kong and Macau Studies《港澳研究》2014(2)，頁77-85。
- Lau, T. (2013) “State Formation and Education in Hong Kong: Pro-Beijing Schools and National Education,” Asian Survey, University of California Press 53:4, July/August: 728-753.
- Chiu, W. K., Lau, C. S., Zhang, H. H. (2013) Mainland Students’ Adjustment in Hong Kong. Central Policy Unit, Hong Kong Government.
- Lau, C. S. (2013) “Comparing Colonial and Postcolonial Nationalistic Education in Pro-Beijing Schools in Hong Kong” Comparative Education Bulletin 15 (1): 24-33.
- Lau, T. C. S. & Choi, K. K. (2012) Problem-based Learning in School Field Trips to China: a case study.” Comparative Education Bulletin 14: 42-48.
- Lau, C. S. (2011) “Challenges to Teaching Citizenship Education in Hong Kong after the Handover” e-Journal of Education Policy 15 (Fall). Available online.
- Lau, C. S. (2011) “Portrayals of Pro-Beijing Workers’ Night Schools in Hong Kong from 1946 to post-1997″ Educational Research for Policy and Practice, 10 (3):135-147. (iFirst article)
- Lau, C. S. (2011) “Hong Kong Socialist Experimentation in the Colonial Era: Patriotic Schools.” China Report: A Journal of East Asian Studies, 47 (1): 25-35.
- Lau, T. (2011) “Exploring how Schools, Teachers and Museums can work together to support Teaching and Learning.” Comparative Education Bulletin 13: 23-28.
- Lau, C. S. (2010). “The Function of Education in Shaping Chinese National Identity in Colonial Hong Kong.” e-Journal of Education Policy 13 (Fall). Available online (iFirst article)
- Lau, C. S. (2010) “Alternative State Formation in Colonial Hong Kong: Patriotic Schools, 1946-1976.”Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies 8 (1): 390-408.
- Lau, C. S. (2009). “Contestation and Curriculum: The Efforts of Chinese Patriots in Hong Kong, 1946-84.” Journal of Basic Education 17: 125-138.
Selected Invited Conference/Seminar Paper Presentations
- Lau, C. S. “Data collection methods and reflection in comparative case studies: Hong Kong” The University of Tokyo (とうきょうだいがく), dated 10 January 2016.
- <span style=”text