Ph.D. (Northwestern); M.S. (Northwestern); M.Phil. (CUHK); B. Soc. Sc. (CUHK)
Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies
- Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies,Hong Kong Baptist University
- Director of Centre for Learning Sciences (CLS), Hong Kong Baptist University
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, National Central University, Taiwan
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Centre for Special Educational Needs & Inclusive Education, The Education University of Hong Kong
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Psychology, National University of Singapore
- Special Educational Needs
- Inclusive Education
- Learning Sciences
- Cognitive Psychology
- Social and Affective Neuroscience
Lui, M., Lui, K. F.H., Wong, A. C. N., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (in press). Suppression of 12-Hz SSVEPs when Viewing Familiar Faces: An Electrophysiological Index to Detect Recognition. International Journal of Psychophysiology. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016787601830076X
Lui, M., & Hsu, M. (2018). Viewing sexual images is associated with reduced physiological arousal response to gambling loss. PLoS ONE,13(4), e0195748. (2015 RG Journal Impact = 3.54) *Full Text access: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195748
Lui, M., Yang, L., & Sin, K. F. (2017). Parents’ perspective of the impact of school practices on the functioning of students with special educational needs. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 1:20.(DOI:10.1080/1034912X.2017.1315803) download: http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6qzManZM5MaZ465zFsak/full )
Tsang, Y. K., Huang, J., Lui, M., Xue, M., Chan, Y. W. F., Wang, S., & Chen, H. C. (2017). MELD-SCH: A megastudy of lexical decision in simplified Chinese. Behavior research methods, 1-15.
Lui, M., Sin, K. F., Yang, L., Forlin, C., & Ho, F. C. (2015). Knowledge and perceived social norm predict parents’ attitudes towards inclusive education. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 19, 1052-1067. (SSCI; 2015 RG Journal Impact = 1.73) ( DOI: 10.1080/13603116.2015.1037866)
So, W. C., Wong, M. K. Y., Lui, M., & Yip, V. (2015). The development of co-speech gesture and its semantic integration with speech in six- to 12-year-old children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism, 19, 956-968. (SSCI; impact factor: 3.5) (DOI:10.1177/1362361314556783)
So, W. C., Lui, M., Wong, T. K., & Sit, L. T. (2015).The use of hand gestures to communicate about nonpresent objects in mind among children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 58, 373-382. (SSCI; impact factor: 2.0) ( DOI: 10.1044/2015_JSLHR-L-14-0213).
Yang, L., Sin, K. F., & Lui, M. (2015). Social, emotional, and academic functioning of children with SEN integrated in Hong Kong primary schools. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 24, 545-555. DOI 10.1007/s40299-014-0198-x (SSCI)
Yan, Z., Lum, C. W. R., Lui, T. L. R., Chu, S. W. S., & Lui, M. (2015). Measuring teaching assistants’ efficacy using Rasch model. Journal of Applied Measurement, 16(1), 60-75.
Yang L., Sin K. F., Li X. Y., Guo, J. S. & Lui, M. (2014). Understanding the power of feedback in education: A validation study of the Feedback Orientation Scale (FOS) in Classrooms. The International Journal of Psychological and Educational Assessment (TIJEPA), 16 (2), 20-46.
Sin, K. F., Lui, M., Yan, Z., Ho, F. C., Au, M. L., & Forlin, C. (2013). The implications of the “Study on Equal Learning Opportunities for Students with Disabilities under the Integrated Education System”. Hong Kong Special Education Forum, 15, 106-110.
Lui. M., Penney, T. B., & Schirmer, A. (2011). Emotion effects on timing: Attention versus pacemaker accounts. PLoS One, 6(7), e21829. (SCI; impact factor: 4.41)
Chen, J. C. W., Li, W., Lui, M., & Paller, K. A. (2009). Left-frontal brain potentials index conceptual implicit memory for words initially viewed subliminally. Brain Research, 1285, 135-147. (SCI; impact factor: 2.50)
Lui, M., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). The application of subliminal priming in lie detection: scenario for identification of members of a terrorist ring. Psychophysiology, 46, 889-903. (impact factor: 3.32)
Lui, M., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). Thirty-Site P300 scalp distribution, amplitude variance across sites, and amplitude in detection of deception regarding concealment of multiple guilty items. Social Neuroscience, 4, 491-509. (SCI; impact factor: 4.35)
Lui, M., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2008). Detection of deception about multiple, concealed, mock crime items, based on a spatial-temporal analysis of ERP amplitude and scalp distribution. Psychophysiology, 45, 721-730. (SCI; impact factor: 3.32)
Rosenfeld, J. P., Labkovsky, E., Winograd, M., Lui, M., Vandenboom, C., & Chedid, E. (2008). The Complex Trial Protocol (CTP): A novel, countermeasure-resistant, accurate P300-based method for detection of concealed information. Psychophysiology, 45, 603-617. (SCI; impact factor: 3.32)
Schirmer, A., Lui, M., Maess, B., Escoffier, N., Chan, M., & Penney, T. B. (2006). Task and sex modulate the brain response to emotional incongruity in Asian listeners. Emotion, 6, 406-417. (SCI; impact factor: 3.09)
General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $641,404. (2018-2021) Examining Affective Prosody Recognition among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and the Effectiveness of an Auditory Intervention using a Mobile App.” (PI)
Hong Kong Baptist University Interdisciplinary Research Matching Scheme. HKD $2,940,000. (2017-2019). “A multimensional approach to examine the neural correlates of autistic traits in children, measured via EEG during resting states and social cognition tasks.” (Co-I)
UGC Funding Scheme for Teaching andLearning Related Proposals. HKD $ 5,689,600 ($ 1,803,800 for HKBU) (2017-19). “Special Educational Needs Empowerment Project for Pre-service Teachers” (Co-I)
Research and Development Projects, Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCHOLAR). HK$ 1,096,663.6 (2018-19). “The use of perceptual training in a mobile application to improve Chinese reading performance in children with dyslexia.” (Co-I)
General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $600,000. (2016-2018) “Decoding mental processes with electrophysiological measures: in search of an effective concealed information detection protocol.” Project No: 12605115. (PI)
General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $665,352. (2015-2017) “Examining the pivotal factors of attitudes towards inclusive education among parents of children with and without special educational needs in a Chinese community: Hong Kong.” (Co-I).
National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 676,000. (2010-2011). “Examining the neural correlates of processing information related to love and hatred, and how these two types of information affect other cognitive processes.” (PI).
National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 498,000. (2009-2010). “An investigation on deception and decision making among fraud offenders and normal subjects with cognitive neuroscience techniques.” (PI).
National Central University, Taiwan. NTD $ 100,000. (2009-2010). “On the role of emotional arousal on sex offender’s decision making and their interaction with opposite and same sex people.” (PI).
National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $8000. (2008-2009). “Memory performance among musicians and non-musicians.” (Co-PI).
National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $ 8000. (2007-2008). “Temporal judgments in different emotional states.” (Co-PI).
- EDUC 3007 Inclusive Education and Special Educational Needs
- EDUC 7250 Inclusive Education
- PSYC 3007 Cognitive Psychology
Postgraduate Diploma in Education:
- EDUC 7270 Professional Teacher Development II
Masters of Education:
- EDUC 7610 Data Analysis for Education
- EDUM 7400 Managing Learning Diversity in Inclusive Education Settings
Doctor of Education
- EDUD 7130 Issues in Child and Adolescent Development Research
- Dec 2015 Learning & Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Jan 2011 National Tsing Hua University Neuroscience Club
- Apr 2010 National Cheng-Chi University Graduate Seminar
- Nov 2009 National Central University Frontier Symposium
- Nov 2009 Chung Shan Medical University Department of Psychology
- Apr 2009 Chinese University of Hong Kong Department of Psychology
- Mar 2009 Nanyang Technological University Division of Psychology
- Mar 2009 National Yang Ming University Institute of Neuroscience
- Mar 2009 National Central University Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Jul 2008 Baylor College of Medicine Human Neuroimaging Lab
- Jan 2006 Northwestern University Cognitive Psychology Group
- May 2006 Northwestern University Undergraduate course
Academic & Professional Experience (2011-present)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Information Learning Sciences (Emerald Publishing Journal) http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/editorial_team.htm?id=ils
- Reviewer Editor of Frontiers in Education
- Reviewer for journals including Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Asia Pacific Journal of Education, International Journal of Inclusive Education, Psychophysiology, Biological Psychology, PLoS One, Timing & Time Perception
- External reviewer of the Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-Financing Degree Sector (2017-18) of the RGC.
- International programme committee for the International Conference on Computational Thinking Education 2017-2019
- Service Monitoring Committee, Fu Hong Society
- Advisory committee of the Learning and Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Ph.D. dissertation co-supervisor, master’s thesis supervisor and committee member