Ph.D. (Northwestern); M.S. (Northwestern); M.Phil. (CUHK); B. Soc. Sc. (CUHK)
Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies
- Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies,Hong Kong Baptist University
- Director of Centre for Learning Sciences (CLS), Hong Kong Baptist University
- Assistant Professor, Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, National Central University, Taiwan
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Centre for Special Educational Needs & Inclusive Education, The Education University of Hong Kong
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Psychology, National University of Singapore
- Special Educational Needs
- Inclusive Education
- Learning Sciences
- Cognitive Psychology
- Social and Affective Neuroscience
Lui, M., So, W. C., & Tsang, Y. K. (2018). Neural Evidence for Reduced Automaticity in Processing Emotional Prosody among Men with High Levels of Autistic Traits. Physiology & Behavior, 196, 47-58. [2017 JCR IF=2.52; Q1 in Philosophy (SCImago)] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031938418306899
Lui, M., Lui, K. F.H., Wong, A. C. N., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2018). Suppression of 12-Hz SSVEPs when Viewing Familiar Faces: An Electrophysiological Index to Detect Recognition. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 133, 159-168. [2017 JCR IF=2.87] https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016787601830076X
Lui, M., & Hsu, M. (2018). Viewing sexual images is associated with reduced physiological arousal response to gambling loss. PLoS ONE,13(4), e0195748. [2017 JCR IF=2.77; Q1 in Multidisciplinary Sciences (JCR)] http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0195748
Lui, M., Yang, L., & Sin, K. F. (2017). Parents’ perspective of the impact of school practices on the functioning of students with special educational needs. International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 1:20. [2017 JCR IF=.95] http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/6qzManZM5MaZ465zFsak/full
Tsang, Y. K., Huang, J., Lui, M., Xue, M., Chan, Y. W. F., Wang, S., & Chen, H. C. (2017). MELD-SCH: A megastudy of lexical decision in simplified Chinese. Behavior Research Methods, 1-15. [2017 JCR IF = 3.60; Q1 in Psychology Experimental (JCR)]
Lui, M., Sin, K. F., Yang, L., Forlin, C., & Ho, F. C. (2015). Knowledge and perceived social norm predict parents’ attitudes towards inclusive education. International Journal of Inclusive Education, 19, 1052-1067. [2017 JCR IF = 1.14; SCImago Q1 in Education]
So, W. C., Wong, M. K. Y., Lui, M., & Yip, V. (2015). The development of co-speech gesture and its semantic integration with speech in six- to 12-year-old children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Autism, 19, 956-968. [2017 JCR IF = 3.91; Q1 in Psychology Developmental (JCR)]
So, W. C., Lui, M., Wong, T. K., & Sit, L. T. (2015).The use of hand gestures to communicate about nonpresent objects in mind among children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 58, 373-382. [2014 JCR IF = 2.07; Q1 in Audiology & Speech Language Pathology (JCR)]
Yang, L., Sin, K. F., & Lui, M. (2015). Social, emotional, and academic functioning of children with SEN integrated in Hong Kong primary schools. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 24, 545-555.
Yan, Z., Lum, C. W. R., Lui, T. L. R., Chu, S. W. S., & Lui, M. (2015). Measuring teaching assistants’ efficacy using Rasch model. Journal of Applied Measurement, 16(1), 60-75.
Yang L., Sin K. F., Li X. Y., Guo, J. S. & Lui, M. (2014). Understanding the power of feedback in education: A validation study of the Feedback Orientation Scale (FOS) in Classrooms. The International Journal of Psychological and Educational Assessment (TIJEPA), 16 (2), 20-46.
Sin, K. F., Lui, M., Yan, Z., Ho, F. C., Au, M. L., & Forlin, C. (2013). The implications of the “Study on Equal Learning Opportunities for Students with Disabilities under the Integrated Education System”. Hong Kong Special Education Forum, 15, 106-110.
Lui. M., Penney, T. B., & Schirmer, A. (2011). Emotion effects on timing: Attention versus pacemaker accounts. PLoS One, 6(7), e21829.
Chen, J. C. W., Li, W., Lui, M., & Paller, K. A. (2009). Left-frontal brain potentials index conceptual implicit memory for words initially viewed subliminally. Brain Research, 1285, 135-147. (SCI; impact factor: 2.50)
Lui, M., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). The application of subliminal priming in lie detection: scenario for identification of members of a terrorist ring. Psychophysiology, 46, 889-903. (impact factor: 3.32)
Lui, M., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2009). Thirty-Site P300 scalp distribution, amplitude variance across sites, and amplitude in detection of deception regarding concealment of multiple guilty items. Social Neuroscience, 4, 491-509. (SCI; impact factor: 4.35)
Lui, M., & Rosenfeld, J. P. (2008). Detection of deception about multiple, concealed, mock crime items, based on a spatial-temporal analysis of ERP amplitude and scalp distribution. Psychophysiology, 45, 721-730. (SCI; impact factor: 3.32)
Rosenfeld, J. P., Labkovsky, E., Winograd, M., Lui, M., Vandenboom, C., & Chedid, E. (2008). The Complex Trial Protocol (CTP): A novel, countermeasure-resistant, accurate P300-based method for detection of concealed information. Psychophysiology, 45, 603-617. (SCI; impact factor: 3.32)
Schirmer, A., Lui, M., Maess, B., Escoffier, N., Chan, M., & Penney, T. B. (2006). Task and sex modulate the brain response to emotional incongruity in Asian listeners. Emotion, 6, 406-417. (SCI; impact factor: 3.09)
General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $641,404. (2018-2021) Examining Affective Prosody Recognition among Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and the Effectiveness of an Auditory Intervention using a Mobile App.” (PI)
General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $600,000. (2016-2018) “Decoding mental processes with electrophysiological measures: in search of an effective concealed information detection protocol.” Project No: 12605115. (PI)
General Research Fund (GRF), RGC Hong Kong. HKD $665,352. (Co-I Budget controller of $360,000). (2015-2017) “Examining the pivotal factors of attitudes towards inclusive education among parents of children with and without special educational needs in a Chinese community: Hong Kong.”
UGC Funding Scheme for Teaching and Learning Related Proposals. HKD $ 5,689,600 (Co-I Budget controller of $ 1,803,800) (2017-19). “Special Educational Needs Empowerment Project for Pre-service Teachers”.
Hong Kong Baptist University Interdisciplinary Research Clusters (IRCMs) HKD$ 2,994,600 (Co-I Budget controller of $450,000). (2019-2021). “Interpretable machine learning aided understanding of complex brain and behavior: from typical individual differences to brain disorders”
Hong Kong Baptist University Interdisciplinary Research Matching Scheme HKD $2,940,000. (Co-I Budget controller of $510,000) (2017-2019). “A multimensional approach to examine the neural correlates of autistic traits in children, measured via EEG during resting states and social cognition tasks.”
Research and Development Projects, Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCHOLAR). HK$ 1,096,663.6 (2018-19). “The use of perceptual training in a mobile application to improve Chinese reading performance in children with dyslexia.” (Co-I)
National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 676,000. (2010-2011). “Examining the neural correlates of processing information related to love and hatred, and how these two types of information affect other cognitive processes.” (PI).
National Science Council, Taiwan. NTD $ 498,000. (2009-2010). “An investigation on deception and decision making among fraud offenders and normal subjects with cognitive neuroscience techniques.” (PI).
National Central University, Taiwan. NTD $ 100,000. (2009-2010). “On the role of emotional arousal on sex offender’s decision making and their interaction with opposite and same sex people.” (PI).
National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $8000. (2008-2009). “Memory performance among musicians and non-musicians.” (Co-PI).
National University of Singapore SRSS Grant. SD $ 8000. (2007-2008). “Temporal judgments in different emotional states.” (Co-PI).
- EDUC 3007 Inclusive Education and Special Educational Needs
- EDUC 7250 Inclusive Education
- PSYC 3007 Cognitive Psychology
Postgraduate Diploma in Education:
- EDUC 7270 Professional Teacher Development II
Masters of Education:
- EDUC 7610 Data Analysis for Education
- EDUM 7400 Managing Learning Diversity in Inclusive Education Settings
- EDUM 7520 International Perspectives in Inclusive Education
Doctor of Education
- EDUD 7130 Issues in Child and Adolescent Development Research
- Dec 2015 Learning & Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Jan 2011 National Tsing Hua University Neuroscience Club
- Apr 2010 National Cheng-Chi University Graduate Seminar
- Nov 2009 National Central University Frontier Symposium
- Nov 2009 Chung Shan Medical University Department of Psychology
- Apr 2009 Chinese University of Hong Kong Department of Psychology
- Mar 2009 Nanyang Technological University Division of Psychology
- Mar 2009 National Yang Ming University Institute of Neuroscience
- Mar 2009 National Central University Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience
- Jul 2008 Baylor College of Medicine Human Neuroimaging Lab
- Jan 2006 Northwestern University Cognitive Psychology Group
- May 2006 Northwestern University Undergraduate course
Academic & Professional Experience (2011-present)
- Editorial Advisory Board, Information Learning Sciences (Emerald Publishing Journal) http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/editorial_team.htm?id=ils
- Reviewer Editor of Frontiers in Education
- Reviewer for journals including Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Asia Pacific Journal of Education, International Journal of Inclusive Education, Psychophysiology, Biological Psychology, PLoS One, Timing & Time Perception
- External reviewer of the Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-Financing Degree Sector (2017-18) of the RGC.
- International programme committee for the International Conference on Computational Thinking Education 2017-2019
- Advisory committee of the Learning and Teaching Expo, Hong Kong
- Ph.D. dissertation co-supervisor, master’s thesis supervisor and committee member